I can't believe it's been a week since I posted; where does time go? I intended to get outside with the dogs and get some pictures of us playing but the weather has not cooperated. It's gone from warmer to cold to cold again. Today looks like our luck is changing, and it should be melting by this afternoon!
I took Spike to the chiropractor again this week and got great news. There was nothing wrong with his shoulders this trip; this is the first time since all this has started in November that he didn't have anything to do with his shoulders. So, we've been backed off to appointments every month to two months again and I came away with homework to do. I am supposed to work on the following with him:
1. Walk backwards
2. Stand with front paws on a stool and walk around it. (both directions)
3. Stand with back paws on a stool and walk around it. (both directions)
4. Stand with all 4 paws in a box and gradually make the box smaller until he has all 4 paws in a tiny box and can balance himself.
5. Walk through a ladder on the ground
6. Stand with paws on two sit fit cushions. He's supposed to have the front paws on one, the back paws on another. Gradually increase the distance between them.
All of these exercises are designed to strengthen his abdominals so that Mr. Long Back will have more support as he's jumping and that will help keep his back aligned. And, for his shoulders, I am pretty sure encouraging him to dig will help strengthen them, as long as everything is in alignment. That's good news for Spike as he lives to dig gophers up in the spring.
Sophie should have gone to the Chiropractor this week, but I didn't have an appointment for her. I am pretty sure she has things out in her back end, but she's managing to be her chipper self and she's not back at agility for a couple weeks anyway so I suspect it's ok for now. I am continuing with the plan of running with her; she gets to do lots of straight line running just to rebuild lost muscle tone in her back end. It takes time I guess, but I have seen improvements and that's encouraging. I keep thinking I should likely get Murphy to Dr. Orchard as well, but I haven't yet. I can't believe what a difference it's made for spike and Sophie!