Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Robine Hood Aidan Story

It's a heavy topic for so early on a Wednesday morning, but I just arrived home from a walk with my three dogs. I was able to do it with safety, no fear of dog packs, no fear of "what if one gets away?".  This story touched my heart because I know the issues in Northern Saskatchewan, when it comes to dog control.  This event happened in Buffalo Narrows, SK which is an hour south of where I lived for 3 years.

Dogs in Northern Saskatchewan are shot as a means of dog control. Each Northern community has a dog catcher and their job is to keep the dogs from packing up; this is accomplished by randomly shooting dogs viewed as a problem or as strays.  I know from experience, when the dogs pack up at certain times of the year, they are SCARY! They become mean and aggressive, but I also know there is a BETTER WAY than culling the dogs.

I lived in fear the entire 3 years I was in La Loche; I worried my dogs would be stolen, get off their tie outs, run off and get shot. I lived in a teacherage, supplied by the school division that refused to fence my yard properly and also refused to allow me to fence it, if I could have afforded to. So, I resorted to tie outs, the first 2 years I was there. By the third year, my dogs, Spike and Sophie NEVER were out of the house without me. I had caught kids throwing rocks at them, had been threatened that they would steal Sophie, and Spike had escaped his tie out a couple times. So, I kept them with me at all times. They got off leash runs, very carefully and both were taught a recall command that was as solid as possible. End result? We made it. But, many of my friends lost dogs to the dog catcher.

I know packing, stray and wild dogs IS a problem in Northern Saskatchewan. But, there has to be a better way! Noone needs to live with the fear of their dog being shot. Noone needs to go through what Nadia has gone through; please watch her story below.  And, help us find new ways to control dog populations in Northern Saskatchewan so the communities remain safe for the children to play without the fear and threat of dog shoot days.  If you want more information about this issue, please comment below and I can share more about how we might make a difference.  The volunteers of New Hope Dog Rescue are committed to finding ways to help make a difference to dog owners in Northern Saskatchewan.

2 comments:

Dexter said...

I forced myself to watch the whole movie even though I could hardly see through my tears. This is senseless and heartbreaking.

Mango Momma

Jen said...

Sorry Mango Momma! It should come with a warning to have kleenex, shouldn't it? I cried through it too, wondered if I should share it, but when it hit the news in December, it brought back all the bad memories of the fear, the dog shoot days and devastated friends who lost their beloved friend and companions. So, I've decided it's time I say something and see if I can't help. Plus, Karen, our director at New Hope has spoken out on the issue and I think if we all ban together, maybe we can bring some change?! I'm hopeful.

But, like I said, heavy topic. Thanks for reading and perserving through.

Jen